SUDEP Project 2015-2017: Making Sahab City Green
Sustainable Urban Demonstration Project - Green Development at Sahab Municipality
The Main Project objective is to enable Sahab Municipality in Jordan to be a pilot for the local authorities in ENPI South partner countries to address local sustainable development challenges related to energy through the following specific objectives:
- Develop a local Energy Efficiency & Renewable Energy Plan for Sahab Municipality to transform it into a green municipality and reduce CO2 emissions in different sectors
- Promote and implement energy efficiency, energy savings & renewable energy measures at Sahab Municipality buildings as replicable pilots for other municipalities in Jordan
- Introduce energy efficient technologies such as indoor and outdoor efficient lighting bulbs and gear
- Build capacities of employees of Sahab Municipality in the field of sustainable energy
- Raise public awareness of the general public and relevant stakeholders and involve them in finding solutions for the energy sustainability in line with National Energy Strategies
- Enable Sahab to become a model Municipality through joining the Covenant of Mayors and through implementing energy efficiency demonstration pilots at their buildings such as cultural centre, stadium, schools, masjids and bus stations
Some of the achieved results:
- Energy Efficiency & Renewable Energy Plan for the Municipality developed for the next (10) years in participatory approach with the Mayor and Municipal Council that defines an appropriate governance structure for the effective implementation of this plan. This plan will enable Sahab Municipality to be a Renewable Energy Pilot at the level of Jordan Municipalities and will contribute in reducing Sahab’s energy demand.
- CO2 emissions reduced by 20% (51,094.0 kg)
- The energy consumption is reduced by up to 100% (91,239. kWh) at the targeted Municipality Buildings as a result of implementing appropriate measures.
- Sahab Municipality has handed over the different installed RE& EE systems such as indoor and outdoor efficient lighting bulbs and gear.
- Performance at Sahab Municipality has been improved in terms of energy sector.
- The project team has conducted (10) awareness workshops; (6) for women of Sahab community and for Masjids’ Imams and (4) workshops for students’’ schools. These workshops have raised their awareness about the relevant issues to energy to be active actors in the future change.
- Sahab Municipality is the first Municipality at Jordan that joins the Covenant of Mayors; Sahab Municipality has signed the covenant of Mayors and submitted successfully all required documents including SEAP .